Sunday, February 12, 2017

Have You Ever Felt That You Need More to Be Successful or Reach the Next Level?

# Do What You Can, With What You Have, Where You Are. #
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C4fH8vtW8Ak4aEQ.jpg:large
## There is a Misconception That I See in Life That I Would Like to Address. ## I often here people moan and complain that if they had a tool, money, education a big break or something else that they would be successful. Have you ever wondered why the [Pareto Priniciple](https://steemit.com/steemit/@hilarski/pareto-s-principle-on-steemit) will always be a reality in life? I will tell you why, it is because people who really want something will find a way to accomplish it. ## My Story as a Volleyball Player. ## When I was in high school I was invited to play volleyball by our coach. I went to an inner city school but our team had some of the best players in Rochester, NY. Many of my teammates played in private clubs. I was new but I watched and learned. I was not good enough so I played JV my junior year. Our team went on to finals where we lost. My senior year I played varsity. After playing all summer at the beach my skills had greatly improved and I actually was an asset to the team. We ended up losing in the first round of the playoffs but we made it. Then I joined the US Navy and I was quite lonely. Military life did not suit me so in my spare time I spent all of my time playing volleyball. Gym staffers all over the world must of thought I was insane. I would literally set up the net and play for hours serving, setting and spiking by myself. It can be done, believe me. My serves were insane. I could literally make the ball go anywhere and it would have a wicked curve. Then came the military intramural leagues. Whatever team I was on dominated. No one could stop me. I would ace multiple serves in a row, spike like a beast and block like a wall. One day I was called aside by the Brunsick, Maine NAS head referee. He told me that he submitted my name for the All Navy team. When I told my Commander about the opportunity he told me he would not approve it because we were getting ready to leave for Italy on deployment and I could not be spared.
https://media.giphy.com/media/xT5LMKP3jzMwKo2316/giphy.gif
In that moment I felt my world had been crushed. Being submitted for the All Navy team would be the pinnacle of my sports career. I played for a few more years but never again had the opportunity to take it to the next level. The key was that I was the best because I put in the hours. Instead of partying I was spending hours at the gym, repeatedly striking the Tachikara volleyball until my shoulder ached. ## Utilize What You Have at Your Disposal. ## I did not have a coach after I left high school. I did not have the best gear. I also was not the best athlete. What I had was time and facilities to practice. I also began to teach others around me. Whatever team I played on I would spend hours trying to teach them the skills to succeed. This in turn sharpened my skills. ## Stop Making Excuses and Get to Work! ##
https://img1.steemit.com/0x0/http://www.randyhilarski.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Randy-Banner-Steemit.jpg

Have You Ever Felt That You Need More to Be Successful or Reach the Next Level? posted first on https://steemit.com/@hilarski

No comments:

Post a Comment